As a Tshemba volunteer, you can enjoy the ultimate in luxurious accommodation. This is the perfect escape from your busy everyday life and a hard day’s work – a true doctor’s refuge. We offer a scenic hideaway surrounded by the lowveld bush filled with an array of game, bird species, fauna and flora.
Our five-star lodge boasts nine stand-alone en-suite chalets that can accommodate up to 18 volunteers in total (should you wish to bring your partner along) and the communal home has space for up to six people. Each chalet has a private deck with a breathtaking view of the bush, a tea and coffee nook and a small lounge area. All our rooms are self-catering.
The Tshemba Foundation lodge’s communal building features two comfortable lounge areas with a fireplace, a fully-equipped, state-of-the-art kitchen and scullery and a spacious dining room. We also have a separate TV room and a gym.
Best of all, you can relax outside by the wooden deck, infinity pool and boma where you’ll have superb views of the Klein Drakensberg Mountains and a watering hole that draws the animals of Moditlo Private Game Reserve.
The Tshemba lodge is located midway between the world-famous Kruger National Park and the world’s largest green canyon, the Blyde River Canyon. Thus, if you or your partner want to go exploring during your downtime, we assure you you’ll find something spectacular to do.
Activities in the area include:
- Self-drive game viewing in the Kruger National Park
- Guided expeditions on private game reserves
- Wildlife photography tours
- The Moholoholo Animal Rehabilitation Centre
- The Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre & Cheetah Project
- The Khamai Reptile Park
- Hiking, driving, boat or air Blyde Canyon tours
- Mountain biking
- White river rafting
- Hot air ballooning
- Handcraft curio shops
- Scrumptious eateries
- Before your arrival, we’ll brief you on all medical related issues you need to be aware of such as malaria.
- If you’re not driving, we suggest you hire a vehicle so that you can enjoy all that Hoedspruit has to offer to the fullest during your downtime.
- The lodge is self-catering.
- Should you choose to, you can order and pay for dinner to be arranged by our lodge manager.
- The Moditlo Game Reserve itself is not open for hiking or self-drive game viewing.
- We invite you to bring your partner along to enjoy the bush with you.
- Depending on the space available, you can only invite one non-medical person to stay with you.
- The lodge is safe and secure. It’s situated in a guarded and secure private game reserve.
- Each room has a full set of towels and linen. You do not have to bring your own.
- We provide free internet and laundry facilities.